EFC’s (Electric Fence System Certifications of Compliance)
Electric Fencing Legislation is nothing new, having been first introduced the 12th August 1988 as per Government Gazette no. R.1593 to which all electric fences had to be in compliance of, including subsequent amendments, as published from time to time.
- Revised Legislation, as per Government Gazette No 31454, published the 25th March 2011 became effective on the 1st of July 2011.
- The EFC’s (Electric Fence System Certifications of Compliance) became effective from the 1st of December 2012.
In terms of this Legislation an EFC is required under the following circumstances:
- Any new electric fencing installation from 1 December 2012.
- Remember, all electric fences installed from the 1st of July 2011 must be fully compliant with this Legislation.
- All properties with electric fencing sold from 1 December 2012 are subject to an EFC, irrespective of when the electric fences were installed;
- There is currently a lot of confusion around this issue. The Department of Labour has, however, confirmed that this is indeed the case. Remember, electric fencing Legislation has been around since the 12th August 1988.
- In terms of any changes, additions and / or repairs, a certificate is required and must be issued when a change, addition and / or repair is made to any existing installation as follows:
- Restringing of any existing electric fence;
- Additions to any existing electric fence such as extending the electric fence (even by only 1 metre);
- Major repairs to the electric fence, such as a section of electric fencing that has to be replaced (i.e. bracket / s and wires);
- Replacing the old energizer with a new one (note, not repairs to, and thereof).
The EFC process is as follows:
Due to the amount of work and time involved, the site inspection and issuing of the EFC is not free.
- Gido’s fee structure is strictly based on the erf / stand size, irrespective the electric fence length.
- Erf / stand number;
- Erf / stand size;
- You will then be quoted the applicable compliance certification fee.
- Inspection of the electric fence installation.
- If the fence is found to be compliant, issuing of said EFC.
- If remedial work is required, quotation to bring fence up to minimum Legislative compliance requirements.
- If quotation is accepted, remedial work to the electric fence.
- Issuing of EFC.
Should you have any further queries, or are unsure about the legislation, please feel free to call and ask as we are more than willing to advise and guide you.